New Fedora DVD 64 Install replaced my previous GRUB2 info! (Dual Boot)

Nat Gross nat101l at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 15:09:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Nat Gross <nat101l at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know that things just look bleak right now, someone please help me
> see all my operating systems upon boot.
>
> Ok, the details:
> Windows 7 Ultra system with ONE 1-TB hard drive. Purchased that way.
> When the last Ubuntu (11.4 I think) was released I installed it on the
> system in order to practice KDE 4.6 when not using Windows, while
> waiting for Fedora 15. So, until my Fedora 15 install on this machine,
> Windows 7 was my primary system, KUbuntu secondary but with enough
> tweaking that I don't want to wipe it until completely comfortable
> with Fedora 15.
> So, today I installed Fedora 15 from DVD. I made sure that it did not
> use any of the used partitions and setup a new set of partitions for
> Fedora 15.
> Fedora installed ok and boots up, but to my horror F15 did not append
> itself to the Grub2 list (installed by Ubuntu). So neither Windows 7
> nor Ubuntu is available on the bootloader list.
>
> This should be minor for those well versed with Grub2, but I am at a
> loss and a bit frightened.
>
> Thank you much,
> -nat

UPDATE ON THE SITUATION:
I have since re-installed Fedora 15, this time telling it to erase all
other LINUX partitions, but it still boots directly into F15.
I told it to install Grub on the mbr.
Ok, now to answer some points some good posters made to my original post.

> What made you think it would "append itself" to some other OS's bootloader config file?
> the latter can be used to chainload Fedora's GRUB from your existing GRUB2
> You've installed Fedora's grub1 to the disk's MBR or to Fedora's root/boot partition.

Woops. That's what I get for assuming. Since newer distros use Grub2,
I assumed that F15 which is even newer would too.
And Grub2 is more friendly between distros. KDE with Grub2 now allows
you reboot from any distro into any other.
So naturally if Grub2 would find  Grub2 already installed it would (it
should!) handle it um.. politely.
Of course, GRUB knows nothing of Grub2, hence the overwrite.

Anyhow, what is the quickest safest way getting F15/Grub to see my Win 7 system?
Also, can I use the working Fedora to install/use Grub2 at this point?

Thank you much.