Closing lid of laptop hibernates the computer

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Jul 12 23:40:13 UTC 2011

On 07/12/2011 04:28 PM, Paul Smith wrote:

>>> Thanks, Suvayu. I have meanwhile installed xfce4-power-manager, but
>>> without success. In truth, my laptop sleeps or hibernates even when I
>>> select "Do nothing" when the lid closes (both for AC and Battery) in
>>> xfce4-power-manager. Any further ideas?
>>
>> Have a look at the BIOS settings of the laptop.  What's in there may
>> override what Fedora's trying to do.  If the BIOS says "hibernate when
>> lid is closed", then that'll override whatever Fedora says because
>> Fedora won't see the lid close.
>
> Thanks, Rick, for your reply. Gnome-power-manager and
> xfce4-power-manager were running simultaneously! After
> having removed gnome-power-manager, the reported problem became fixed.

Glad you got it sorted.  The fix I suggested bit me once on a Sony
laptop I had.  The BIOS overrode what I had set and it drove me mad
until my cat sat on the keyboard while it was booting.  A strategically-
placed paw forced it into BIOS and when I looked around in there...
BOOF!  I saw it.  The kitty got a catnip mouse for her efforts.  I
reward good work.  :-)