Gnome 3 ~ Windows 8?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Jul 13 15:13:47 UTC 2011

> Now that F15 has had a few weeks of heavy use, and people have either
> adapted to the new interface or adopted a permanently frustrated
> attitude toward it, I'm curious the general feeling. (Sorry, my English
> is giving out -- I think this last sentence may be weird.)

A long long time ago (before even Linux) the fact that it was dumb to lock
the Windowing system and UI together was part of the design of X. It
still is. So Fedora isn't really moving in any direction. Gnome 3 may be
trying to go a particular way but Fedora supports multiple desktops and
people can write more of them.

I certainly played with Gnome 3 a bit, and there are some good ideas but
in general I found it dire. Gnome 3.2 will be the real test, have they
fixed all the really dumb bits of the design that users hate or not.

Alan