No sound after update today -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Jul 13 16:51:17 UTC 2011

On 13/07/11 11:28, Genes MailLists wrote:

>    Was it rebooting that fixed it - or rebooting with an older kernel?
> Can you try rebooting with newer kernel?
>
>    gene

        A good question and that only adds to the confusion. To begin
        with, rebooting is a painful process and takes about a minute
        and a half to get to the point where I can log in and startx.

        I shut down then tried booting with the new kernel. No sound.

        Then booted with the previous kernel. No Sound.

        Shut down and booted again with previous kernel. Sound restored.

        I always reboot after a yum update to flush out any problems
        like that at my convenience rather than wait. That's what
        happened this morning when I found there was no sound. It took a
        while to realize I wasn't hearing the incoming message signals.

        I'll try the new kernel again later, perhaps rebooting it a
        second time made a difference? I prefer to think not but will
        try just for laughs.

        Bob