Gnome 3 ~ Windows 8?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 13 17:32:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 09:54 -0500, Mike Chambers sent:
> Without intending a flamewar

Hmmph...  Then goes ahead and does something that's likely to do so.
Statements, like that, are similar to:  With all due respect...
And:  I don't mean to be critical, but...

Anyway, this argument has already been done and dusted on this list,
about two weeks ago.

> the linked article[1] is not interesting or unique in its blatant
> criticism of the Windows 8 interface, but it is interesting that the
> author sees the Windows 8 interface as a chance for Linux to get the
> upper hand on the desktop:

I don't...  They all (Linux too) seem to be heading for being some sort
of iPad clone.  Being all the more inappropriate for trying to use a
touch-screen type of interface, when you don't have a touch-screen.

They're also being painful as far as multi-tasking is concerned.
Wacking great big oversized GUIs for things, so you can't use two or
three applications side by side.  You have to window shuffle.

Starting things from the icons on the desktop background, so you have to
get your windows out of the way to get to the icons.  Having to search
for your program, because there isn't a structured menu (either one
that's categorised, or one that doesn't keep re-arranging the order that
things and jumbled together).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686