Gnome 3 ~ Windows 8?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 13 18:36:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 10:44 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> as a Linux user you have a VARIETY of desktops to select from.
> GNOME is just one of them.

Actually, there is a little bit more to it than that...

At the basic level, yes, you can pick a desktop that appears in a manner
that pleases you.  But there's other things that Gnome and KDE have
handled, that some other desktops have not (hardware ownership,
automatic disk mounting, networking, etc.).

What irritates me, and others, was that we found Gnome 2 to be just
about what we wanted, in a myriad of ways.  But Gnome 3 is just too
different that we now need to find something else that is how Gnome 2
used to be.  Or, jumping distros to one of the long-term ones, that
still uses Gnome 2, and doesn't do major package updates within its
lifespan.

We're back to finding the "least objectionable" out of several choices.
Which doesn't bode well for software design, in general, when that's
your method of choosing something, rather than looking for "the best."
Unfortunately, that seems to be par for the course.

I see the sense in pushing the boundaries for high end computing.  I
don't see the sense in making low end computing require high end
hardware.  What's low end computing?  Email, web browsing, not playing
video games.  It's just gross inefficiency to require a 4 GHz computer
to do that.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686