Gnome 3 ~ Windows 8?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 01:45:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 1:44 PM, James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 09:54 -0500, Mike Chambers sent:
>>>
>>> Without intending a flamewar
>>
>> Hmmph...  Then goes ahead and does something that's likely to do so.
>> Statements, like that, are similar to:  With all due respect...
>> And:  I don't mean to be critical, but...
>>
>> Anyway, this argument has already been done and dusted on this list,
>> about two weeks ago.

> One, as a Linux user you have a VARIETY of desktops to select from.
> GNOME is just one of them.

True but GNOME is the Fedora default; that's why Fedora's GNOME
edition's called "Fedora 15 Desktop Edition" and the other DEs are
"spins".

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options#desktops

> Two, Windows7/8 is a clone of the MacOSX Aqua desktop's look and feel.
>  Apple has agreed not to sue Microsoft because of an earlier agreement
> and U.S. Federal court case.
> Three. Who actually cares what anyone thinks at this point about
> Windows. This is a Linux distribution mailing list. Let's keep it
> that way.
> In other words, let's close the subject and let this thing die.  (I
> know, eat your own words, but that is a summation of the previous
> discusssion.)

I'd understand your logic if the OP'd asked how to do this or that on
Windows. But some people may be interested in comparing Linux with
other OSs, especially since OS X, Windows, GNOME Shell, and Unity are
all converging towards an OSX+iOS look and feel.