No sound after update today -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Jul 14 08:05:27 UTC 2011

On 13/07/11 12:51, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 13/07/11 11:28, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>
>>    Was it rebooting that fixed it - or rebooting with an older kernel?
>> Can you try rebooting with newer kernel?
>>
>>    gene
>
>        A good question and that only adds to the confusion. To begin
>        with, rebooting is a painful process and takes about a minute
>        and a half to get to the point where I can log in and startx.
>
>        I shut down then tried booting with the new kernel. No sound.
>
>        Then booted with the previous kernel. No Sound.
>
>        Shut down and booted again with previous kernel. Sound restored.
>
>        I always reboot after a yum update to flush out any problems
>        like that at my convenience rather than wait. That's what
>        happened this morning when I found there was no sound. It took a
>        while to realize I wasn't hearing the incoming message signals.
>
>        I'll try the new kernel again later, perhaps rebooting it a
>        second time made a difference? I prefer to think not but will
>        try just for laughs.
>
>        Bob

        To further add to the mysteries of Fedora 15, sound works
        normally this morning after booting to the latest kernel,
        2.6.38.8-35.fc15.i686. Will it continue to work over subsequent
        reboots? That remains to be seen.

        The only other thing I found necessary was to "fix" LibreOffice
        Calc configuration in order to get it to run. That seems to be
        required after LibreOffice updates.

        Thanks for the help.

        Bob