Gnome 3 ~ Windows 8?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 21:18:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 12:53 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:

>> > This is exactly one what I think about Gnome 3 - maybe good for
>> > PADs, but tedious for power desktop users with many installed and
>> > simultaneously running apps.
>> > Golden Gnome 2!
>>
>> Gnome 2 is now offically dead.
>>
>> Now, back to what I said earlier.  YOU, the Linux user, have a CHOICE
>> of desktop/window managers.  YOU should avail yourself of this
>> feature.  If you want to 'resurect' Gnome2, you are more than welcome
>> to.  It is after all, GPL/LGPL licensed and you should be free to spin
>> off whatever you want.  However, do not expect the Gnome support team
>> to help in your efforts.
>>
>> For all concerned:  The goal behind some of the moves you folks see in
>> desktops is to move more users to Linux vice 'that other stuff'.  This
>> means making things familiar to those folks.  I really would like for
>> the old projects to be continued for us older 'power users' and new
>> desktops to be introduced for those who need/desire those features.  I
>> did not like what happened when Windows95 introduced the 'Start'
>> button feature.  Over the years, I grew used to this.  I still think
>> that the idea is 'stupid' but I now understand why this happened.  And
>> I was and remain a command line power guru.
>>
>> James McKenzie
>
> I agree with you that Gnome2 is dead but someone has to explain why a
> feature like holding the ALT key is necessary to power off in the  User
> Menu. It seems to me there was room in the original list for a Power off
> option.
>
> I think that there is general agreement among the majority of F15 users
> other than the Gnome developers that there are aspects of Gnome3 that
> are just plain screwy.
This is definitely not one of those things that should exist.  Maybe
the team feels that a new user would not understand what 'power off'
means.  I would find that insulting as a new Linux user coming from
the other world.  I think this is the wrong way to deal with this.  I
have not had the time to look at Gnome3 yet, but this makes me less
likely to do so from an engineering/quality assurance/user experience
view point.  BTW, do they have a 'do you really want to do this'
dialog or does Gnome3 go immediately into power down mode?

James