Gnome 3 ~ Windows 8? => choosing the fedora desktop

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Fri Jul 15 01:56:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 21:27 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 09:53:57 +0900
> 夜神 岩男 wrote:
>
> > but the underlying base is so
> > solid and logical that people who are really familiar with it are just
> > enduring the arguments for now while they prepare Good Things. I
> > consider this to be fairly likely
>
> Really, Can I sell you some swampland? :-)

lol

Well, I haven't read the core code myself, so I can't say that its bad
tech. I can see that the Gnome devs and FESCO seem to be clinging to it
quite tightly, however, and both tend to have more sound reasons than
insane ones -- and based on that I have to assume at the core there lay
some glowing gem of brilliance upon which great things can be built.
(Ubuntu seems to be holding to it as well -- though the Ubuntu team's
thoughts carry much less weight with me than FESCO.)

A lot of good tech manifests an awkward userland at first -- and I'm
hoping this is a similar case. Adding a slot for widgets, moving menus
around, adding some protections against poorly written GTK+ code (like
where a fixed-size window fixes its size at something larger than the
available screen a la "Disk Utility"), etc. are somewhat trivial
compared to the core code required -- if the suite is well designed. So
I could understand if some of the interface issues have taken second
stage to core development issues. Of course, open source is a mind-share
market and keeping a positive spin on things is necessary, so
announcements can't include tags like "interface still awkward!" in the
feature list for version ?.0...

But that's me being positive, perhaps overly so.

-Iwao