Gnome 3 ~ Windows 8?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 02:29:26 UTC 2011

On 7/14/11 3:38 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 07/14/2011 09:53 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Frantisek Hanzlik<franta at hanzlici.cz>   wrote:
>>> Tim wrote:
>> Now, back to what I said earlier.  YOU, the Linux user, have a CHOICE
>> of desktop/window managers.
>> YOU should avail yourself of this
>> feature.  If you want to 'resurect' Gnome2, you are more than welcome
>> to.  It is after all, GPL/LGPL licensed and you should be free to spin
>> off whatever you want.  However, do not expect the Gnome support team
>> to help in your efforts.
> YOU, the Gnome devs, should learn that you have turned the product we
> loved into an entirely different product and are not addressing us -
> your users' demands - anymore.
If you even THINK that the current breed of developers CARE about what
the user base wants/needs, you are living in dream-land.  I work with a
product that had a HUGE installed user base that ran nothing but SUN
Solaris.  The company decided that they would go after a non-existent
Windows Server user base.  They lost about 1/2 of their user base and
they are not coming back, ever.  However, this company now has MORE
installed copies of their product with massive licensing/support
income.  I stand by what I said based on PAST experience.  You can
leave, the developers don't care.  They want the 5% that say "I don't
like xxxx operating system and would move to Linux but it is so damn
hard to work with".  That will definitely increase the number of users
that will work with their product.  They don't want to re-learn how to
work their computers.  I know that WE don't like that, but we now know
who is the target audience.  And like you, I'm upset that Gnome2 was
dropped like a rock.  That means one less OPTION to select.  However,
the developers might feel they can only support one windowing system.

James