Gnome 3 ~ Windows 8?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 15 11:48:40 UTC 2011

Tim:
>> I see the sense in pushing the boundaries for high end computing.  I
>> don't see the sense in making low end computing require high end
>> hardware.  What's low end computing?  Email, web browsing, not playing
>> video games.  It's just gross inefficiency to require a 4 GHz computer
>> to do that.

James McKenzie:
> I agree with this comment.  You should not need a multi-core system just
> to read mail and browse the web.  Adding a high end desktop system to
> this is aggravating and a nuisance.  That is why some folks recommend
> the 'lower end' windowing systems that do the basic things.

I think it's getting close to the point where the default desktop for
Fedora ought not to be Gnome, and the flashier desktops ought to be the
additional try them out options, rather than the lightweight ones.

> I've seen people state that Gnome is needed to automount drives.
> Never found that to be the case when I was running RedHat 7/8 or 9.

Over time, *what* did the automounting has changed.  Somewhere along the
way HAL did it, and some of those other desktops didn't appear to make
use of it.

Likewise, when I tried using a lightweight desktop, some time ago, I got
no sound.  Because the console kit helper that assigned hardware to a
user wasn't part of that desktop's equation.

It seems to have got to the point that to use new Linux, you need a new
computer.  That does rather preclude new users, who will get a new
computer with windows.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686