Software update has bugs

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 15 13:26:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 20:05 -0700, John Wendel wrote:
> On 07/14/2011 01:27 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > Under KDM I asked for software updates and got an option called Get and
> > Remove Software. I ran it and chose to add the Content group. I was
> > shown the three documents I could add. One on Python, one on Java and
> > one on Linux drivers. I chose to install the first and third. Processing
> > started until I  was told another  dependency must be installed. I said
> > continue and the system asked me for a passwd authorization. I entered
> > the only passwds that seemed possibly relevant and both were rejected
> >
> > Ok, I started again . At the place where it asked me for a passwd
> > previously it stated that I had not entered an authorizing passwd and
> > quit. So I could not proceed further.
> >
> > I tried to use Gnome to do the same thing. When I searched for Get or
> > Remove .. the only relevant application I was shown was KPackageKit.
> > When I ran that I was given the option to Get and Remove Software, which
> > I ran, entered the passwd which should work and it did.
> >
> > Now I pressed my luck and ran another option called Software Update.
> > Which attempted it said to find updates but failed. The same option
> > under KVM also failed.
> >
> > However, in Gnome under Software Tools the Software Update application
> > succeeds.
> >
> > Have other people fond the  same bug or am I going crazy again?
>
> Same bad experience here. All these apps are just a layer of crap spread
> over yum.  Save yourself some pain and use yum directly.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

I agree with your philosophy. But this all is supposed to be the desktop
of our future. So at least even it is screwy it is supposed to work. Do
these applications work for the rest of you? If they do why am I having
such trouble using them.

I also apologize for calling KDE two separate incorrect names.
"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a
vacuum." --Arthur C. Clarke
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net