Gnome 3 ~ Windows 8?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Jul 15 17:01:42 UTC 2011

On 07/13/2011 07:39 AM, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
> Is he right and we're moving badly in the wrong direction (as in, an
> interface with a more traditional GUI feel would be a big winner?) or is
> competing with a similar look-and-feel as the default while providing
> lots of traditional-feeling alternatives a winning attitude?

Thank you for the link.  I've just passed it on to Jerry Pournelle, as I
think he (and maybe his readers) will find it interesting.

I think what we have in the Gnome Shell is what happens when the devs on
a big project find themselves controlled by people who believe that if
it's new it must be better.  This, naturally, isn't always true any more
than the opposite attitude of if it's new it must be bad.  Of course,
with Linux, those of us who don't like the direction Gnome is going in
are able to move to a different DE; in Windows, you won't have that
choice, so we may find ourselves becoming more mainstream if Microsoft
doesn't correct its current cranio-rectal insertion.