Hard drive/Laptop swap - will fedora croak?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Jul 16 01:01:22 UTC 2011

Gary Waters writes:

> « HTML content follows »
> I set up a Fedora 15 installation on a laptop with an  intel based chipset. I
> just got an AMD ( Turion ) chipset notebook. I assume swapping the hard drive
> will result in the fedora installation crashing? If such is the case, other
> than a fresh install, is there a way to do it which will work?

It's unlikely that any drastic actions will be needed. Fedora will boot just
fine. The only situation where Fedora won't boot would be if you move a 64
bit Fedora install onto a system with a 32 bit CPU, of course.

The most you will have to do is to reconfigure a few things. Fedora keeps
stuff like network configuration settings associated for each device. When
you boot the new hardware, Fedora will likely see a new network device, so
you may need to refiddle your network settings. Audio might need some manual
reconfiguration too.

X.org is of sufficiently robust shape that it will come up on any new
hardware that it supports without any issues. Of course the video hardware
in your new laptop must be supported by X.org. If you're using Nvidia's or
AMD's binary blob drivers, all bets are off, who knows what they will do.