Can't send email

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jul 15 21:39:36 UTC 2011

Am 15.07.2011 23:34, schrieb Vinny:
> From: james tate <binarynut at comcast.net>
>>
> On 07/13/2011 07:35 PM, Vincent Onelli wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I am having problem sending email, receiving is OK but sending keeping
>>> at asking for password because can't authenticate.
>>> The set up is identical to my laptop which work OK, I rechecked
>>> several times, I also redone the set up few times. The OS is F15
>>> any of you good people have some suggestion? Vinny.
>> Are you using Thunderbird to send mail ?
>>
>> I find when you send a email a window will open for your email password
>> and it is is hidden down behind any open window where you can't see it,
>> and your email won't send until your SMTP gets it's email password.
>> -----------------------------
>>
> I do get window that ask for password, and I enter password, then a second
> window appears "Unable to authenticate to SMTP server.
> Bad authentication response from server"
>
> I am sending this email from the same computer using Kmail, however, I would
> like to go back to Evolution if it can be fixed

i owuld bet evolution is misconfigured and you should contect your
serveradmin because this is the only person who can look what
exactly happens

what auth-method are you using and what does you server support?
telnet you-smtp 587

below a smtp-session to look what the server supports

[harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ telnet mail.thelounge.net 587
Trying 10.0.0.15...
Connected to mail.thelounge.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.thelounge.net hardened ESMTP
EHLO harry
250-mail.thelounge.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 36700160
250-VRFY
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250 8BITMIME