An elementary question on LANs

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Jul 16 18:24:46 UTC 2011

Digimer wrote:

> On 07/15/2011 03:00 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> What exactly sets up the correspondence between interfaces and LANs,
>> eg (in my case) eth1 <-> 192.168.2.0 ?
>>
>> I don't see any file in /etc/sysconfig , say,
>> where this is specified.
>
> It's mapped using 'HWADDR' in the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX and/or in
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

These establish a correspondence between the interfaces
and the MAC addresses of the NICs.
And ifcfg-ethX sets up a correspondence between MAC addresses
and IP addresses of the NICs,
in my case eth1 -> 192.168.2.2 .

It would be possible to deduce from this that eth1 corresponds
to the subnet 192.168.2.0 .
But dhcpd does not appear to make this deduction.

If I might ask, are you running dhcpd under CentOS-6 ?
Is anybody running dhcpd under CentOS-6 ?
If so, I would be very interested to see your dhcpd.conf
and ifcfg-ethX .

I should say that dhcpd ran (and is running) perfectly
under CentOS-5.6 , but not under CentOS-6.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net