An elementary question on LANs

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Sat Jul 16 19:06:09 UTC 2011

On 07/16/2011 02:24 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Digimer wrote:
>
>> On 07/15/2011 03:00 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>> What exactly sets up the correspondence between interfaces and LANs,
>>> eg (in my case) eth1 <-> 192.168.2.0 ?
>>>
>>> I don't see any file in /etc/sysconfig , say,
>>> where this is specified.
>>
>> It's mapped using 'HWADDR' in the
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX and/or in
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.
>
> These establish a correspondence between the interfaces
> and the MAC addresses of the NICs.
> And ifcfg-ethX sets up a correspondence between MAC addresses
> and IP addresses of the NICs,
> in my case eth1 -> 192.168.2.2 .
>
> It would be possible to deduce from this that eth1 corresponds
> to the subnet 192.168.2.0 .
> But dhcpd does not appear to make this deduction.
>
> If I might ask, are you running dhcpd under CentOS-6 ?
> Is anybody running dhcpd under CentOS-6 ?
> If so, I would be very interested to see your dhcpd.conf
> and ifcfg-ethX .
>
> I should say that dhcpd ran (and is running) perfectly
> under CentOS-5.6 , but not under CentOS-6.

I have not yet moved my dhcpd servers to CentOS 6. Actually, nothing
outside the lab uses EL6. :)

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially,
a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab
through the sky with fire and math?"