Fedora 15 won't do automatic updates

James Bridge james at xmas.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 16 21:39:20 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 08:25 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 18:18 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > On 07/16/2011 06:14 PM, James Bridge wrote:
> > > I'm glad it's not just me... Has _anyone_ got it working?
> > >

> > Works just fine here.
> >
> > Rahul
>
> Well I join those for whom it does nor work. I was told earlier that the
> automatic update only works for security updates and it is actually
> automatic. That is it does not ask if you want to update.
>
> Is any of this true?
> --

I have just run "Software Updates". There are three options; I have them
set to check daily, to install all updates (as opposed to security
updates) automatically and not to do it using mobile broadband (this is
a desktop anyway). I never see a window pop up and ask if I want to
update _unless_ I go to either Software Updates or Software Update and
start the check manually. Then I almost always get a list of things to
do, sometimes as many as 50 packages, depending how long since I last
checked. So the machine is certainly not updating automatically.

FWIW, I don't think an invisible update process would be desirable. Is
that what "automatic" means?

So far as I know, I am running Fedora 15 x86_64 with no modifications.
There must be a config file somewhere: does anyone know what it is
called? And for a daily check, when should the check happen - at first
boot up or at a particular time of day? If the latter, what happens if
the computer is turned off then? If the check is set for midnight, mine
would never actually be running. That might explain a lot!
--
James Bridge <james at xmas.demon.co.uk>