Fedora 15 won't do automatic updates

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Sun Jul 17 00:29:03 UTC 2011

On 07/16/2011 05:39 PM, James Bridge wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 08:25 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>>>

>>> Works just fine here.
>>>
>>> Rahul
>>
>> Well I join those for whom it does nor work. I was told earlier that the
>> automatic update only works for security updates and it is actually
>> automatic. That is it does not ask if you want to update.
>>
>> Is any of this true?
>> --
>
> I have just run "Software Updates". There are three options; I have them
> set to check daily, to install all updates (as opposed to security
> updates) automatically and not to do it using mobile broadband (this is
> a desktop anyway). I never see a window pop up and ask if I want to
> update _unless_ I go to either Software Updates or Software Update and
> start the check manually. Then I almost always get a list of things to
> do, sometimes as many as 50 packages, depending how long since I last
> checked. So the machine is certainly not updating automatically.
>
> FWIW, I don't think an invisible update process would be desirable. Is
> that what "automatic" means?
>
> So far as I know, I am running Fedora 15 x86_64 with no modifications.
> There must be a config file somewhere: does anyone know what it is
> called? And for a daily check, when should the check happen - at first
> boot up or at a particular time of day? If the latter, what happens if
> the computer is turned off then? If the check is set for midnight, mine
> would never actually be running. That might explain a lot!

I'm pretty sure that my system is not updating correctly either.  I have
not seen an alert pop up on my screen since I upgraded from F13 to F14
using preupgrade for the second time on Sun Jul 10.  Here's a line from
my daily log.

I've been looking at a continuing notice of a file needing to be updated
on my computer but I could never get the file to install because of a
missing dependency.  Last night I decided to run the preupdate program
again.  I ran it before and thought that it had correctly upgraded my
computer from F13 to F14 but it appears the the upgrade did not succeed
entirely.  I think it's done correctly now.  No more notice of a file
needing to be updated.

I just tried:

[root at mushroom ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, presto, refresh-packagekit
Found 15 installed debuginfo package(s)
Enabling fedora-debuginfo: Fedora 13 - i386 - Debug
Enabling rpmfusion-nonfree-debuginfo: RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Nonfree
- Debug
Enabling rpmfusion-free-updates-debuginfo: RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 -
Free - Updates Debug
Enabling rpmfusion-free-debuginfo: RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 - Free - Debug
Enabling updates-debuginfo: Fedora 13 - i386 - Updates - Debug
Enabling rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-debuginfo: RPM Fusion for Fedora 13 -
Nonfree

What I see troubles me.  It appears to still be pointing to the old F13
repositories.  Maybe this is what is wrong with my installation as well
as for the OP.

[root at mushroom ~]# uname -a
Linux mushroom.patch 2.6.35.13-92.fc14.i686.PAE #1 SMP Sat May 21
17:33:09 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

When I reboot the machine it claims to be F14 on the progress screen.

There must be a configuration file somewhere that is setting the
$releasever variable to F13 instead of F14.  Could this effect the auto
updater too?

--
    °v°
   /(_)\
    ^ ^  Mark LaPierre
Registerd Linux user No #267004
www.counter.li.org
****
In a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today.
**
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it.
To mess up an MS Windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****