An elementary question on LANs

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 17 05:50:52 UTC 2011

On 07/16/2011 06:04 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> g wrote:
>
>> so, to op, Timothy Murphy,
>>
>> do you wish to know;
>>
>>  1- what determines mapping of nic [network interface card/chipset] to an
>>   ip address?
>
> I assume that this is set in ifcfg-ethX .

http://tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/chap9sec90.html

which is starts from;

http://tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/file-netfunc.html

This chapter deals with all the basic files usually text files related to
TCP/IP networking.It's very important to know the configurations files
related to TCP/IP networking, so that you can edit and configure the files
if necessary. Remember that our server doesn't have an Xwindow interface to
configure files via graphical interface. Even if you use a GUI in your daily
activities it is important to know how to configure network in text mode.
The following sections describe the basic TCP/IP configuration files.

>>  2- what determines mapping of nic [network interface card/chipset] to an
>>   ethx position?
>
> That is an interesting question.

in addition;

http://tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/chap8sec88.html

You can use Linux as a gateway between two Ethernet networks. In that case,
you might have two Ethernet cards on your server. To eliminate problems at
boot time, the Linux kernel doesn't detect multiple cards automatically.
If you happen to have two or more cards, you should specify the parameters
of the cards in the lilo.conf file for a monolithic kernel or in the
conf.modules file for a modularized kernel. The following are problems you
may encounter with your network cards.

<>

>>  3- what determines order of mapping of nic [network interface
>>  card/chipset] to an ip address?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by the _order_ of the mapping?
>
> My guess is that in the absence of any action by the user
> which NIC is assigned to eth0 and which to eth1 (etc)
> is determined by the position of the NICs in the PCI device table?
> But I'd be interested to know the answer to this.

correct. if you have an 'onboard chipset' and 'pci cards', 'pci cards'
will take precedence over 'onboard chipset'.

<>

> I don't see how this differs from the previous question.
>
>>  5- none of above?
>
> I think my question was slightly different to any of the above.

actually, i was taking basic of your 1st post and throwing out possible
variations of what you might have meant by the nebulous. :)

a lot of informative information can be found at;

  http://tldp.org/index.html

their searches are run via google and a lot of what you are asking about
can be found there.

they also have a nice wiki;

  http://wiki.tldp.org/

<>

> Also ifconfig contains

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=017644269519104757279%3Agm62gtzaoky&q=ifconfig&sa=go

<>

> http://wiki.alteeve.com/index.php/Changing_the_ethX_to_Ethernet_Device_Mapping_in_EL6_and_Fedora_12%2B
>> is a  good read.
>
> I did look at this, but it did not seem relevant to my problem.

as i said, "is a  good read". ;)

a lot of '<>' trimming is because a lot of what you are stating is covered
in 'tldp' links.

a few more links to info;

  http://tldp.org/LDP/nag2/index.html
  http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/
  http://www.networkworld.com/
  http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialNetworking.html

when you get tired of all the reading links, you can check this link;

  http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/

happy reading.

hth.
--