An elementary question on LANs

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Jul 17 11:58:59 UTC 2011

Reindl Harald wrote:

> this here is dhcpd under Fedora 15 and works the same way
> like 10 years ago - i guess you did not realize that
> "dhcpd.conf" is in recent releases located under
> "/etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf" and not directly in /etc/
> and playing the whole time with a ignored config-file

Thank you very much.
That was indeed my problem.
All the changes I made to /etc/dhcpd.conf were completely ignored,
and the complaints from dhcpd referred to the empty /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf
which I did not realise existed.

Now I have transferred /etc/dhcpd.conf to /etc/dhcp/
dhcpd is starting without complaint,
and I can run CentOS-6 on my home servers.

I guess I learned quite a lot from this fiasco ...

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net