jack audio kit

Zoran Spasojevic mr.macos at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 18 23:26:39 UTC 2011

When I try to start jack audio kit via QjackCtl I get
the message below. Something seems to be using the audio card.
How do I figure out what is using the card and then how to stop it?
I think this is related to the fact that I only get system sounds but
  no sound from any other application (xmms, xine,...)
Thanks,
Zoran

19:22:41.031 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory

Cannot connect to server socket

jack server is not running or cannot be started

19:22:41.040 JACK was started with PID=2159.

Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted

Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted

jackdmp 1.9.7

Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.

Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.

jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 20

Cannot lock down memory area (Cannot allocate memory)

control device hw:0

control device hw:0

audio_reservation_init

Acquire audio card Audio0

creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit

control device hw:0

the playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop the
application using it and run JACK again

Cannot initialize driver

JackServer::Open() failed with -1

Failed to open server

19:22:41.113 JACK was stopped with exit status=255.

19:22:43.166 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall
operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the
messages window for more info.