Can't send email

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Mon Jul 18 11:47:28 UTC 2011

On 07/18/2011 03:56 AM, J.Witvliet at mindef.nl wrote:

>> the OP is using evolution in KDE and it fails to access gnome-keyring.
>
> I only ever use Evolution under KDE. It uses gnome-keyring just as it does under Gnome. The only difference is that Evo prompts you for the keyring password on starting up under a new session (just the first
> time) as it doesn't get this info automatically from the login widget as it does under Gnome.
>
> poc
>
> --
> Seen that behaviour.
>
> Any chance of changing that? I mean, that gnome-keyring picking up the proper credentials?
>
> hw

  This is exactly why (half) solutions like this are really bad. A well
designed service should be a back end that works everywhere  - and allow
front ends to be built (or shared) for different DE's.

  In this regard, the wallet managers are a failure.

  Network manager does it right - a daemon back end and a set of GUI's
to partner with it. A decent key manager would be similar. There'd be a
single API that apps can use - and the GUI's for user use the same API
to communicate with it.

  The idea of having a tool for a common task is a good one - the design
implementation is flawed and suffers from NIH.

  My view of course :-)