Installing Fedora with LVM and LUKS, using the encryption layer on top of the LVM layer.

yudi v yudi.tux at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 11:51:01 UTC 2011

I am trying to install Fedora 15 32bit on a laptop with 750Gb Advanced
Format WD drive.

the partition scheme I have in my mind is like this:

sda1 100GB  Win7
sda2 500MB /boot
sda3 500GB  LVM (also the PV and the VG)
-LV 15GB /root (encrypted)
-LV  50GB /home (encrypted)
-LV  4GB swap partition (encrypted)
- leave the rest unassigned for the time being
sda4 150GB  NTFS ( whatever is left)

I successfully setup a test system with the LUKS layer under the LVM, that
is encrypting the whole PV rather than encrypting individual LVs. It boots
fine without any issues and I only have to enter the pass phrase once. Now I
would like to change this setup with the LVM layer below the LUKS layer.
That way I do not have to worry about decrypting 500Gb at every boot.

 I would like to know if there is a way to decrypt all the encrypted LVs
with one pass phrase.

--
Kind regards,
Yudi