F15: Questions re systemd

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Jul 18 20:34:28 UTC 2011

New install of F15 on Thinkpad X61. Httpd refuses to start using:
systemctl enable httpd.service; systemctl start httpd.service

User:group apache:apache exists and 'owns' /var/www

No httpd.service file was installed through yum. I created one containing:
**************************************
# httpd.service for systemd
# installed to /lib/systemd/system

[Unit]
Description=httpd daemon
After=mysqld.service

[Service]
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/sysconfig/httpd
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/httpd $OPTIONS -k start
ExecReload=/usr/sbin/httpd $OPTIONS -k restart
PIDFile=/run/httpd.pid
Type=forking
User=apache
Group=apache

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

I only get 'Job failed. See system logs and 'systemctl status' for
details'.  [FAILED]

Status details are no help. I added OPTIONS=" -e 3 -E
/var/log/httpd/error_log -w" to /etc/sysconfig/httpd, which systemctl
status says it is executing, but I get NO error_log entries.

Moreover, I get NO systems logs of any sort from systemctl/systemd.

FIRST QUESTION: Where are the system logs?  I do NOT have a
/var/log/messages file.... Do I need to set a logging option somewhere?

SECOND QUESTION: If I use '/usr/sbin/httpd -k start', it works and I get
httpd threads in the ps list.
Service httpd status, at that point, says that the start FAILED.
Service httpd stop does not actually stop anything, nor does systemctl
httpd.service stop.  (Does not know the pid?)

But another service httpd start, reports that httpd is already running....

Does anyone know how to get this working? My google-foo is lacking. I
can find nothing about where systemd logs data.
And I can find nothing about whether to remove the original (F14)
service files.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury