adding users with different home directory ( /1home instead of /home)

Jatin K ssh.fedora at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 05:11:41 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 19 July 2011 06:10 PM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> On 07/19/2011 07:57 AM, Jatin K wrote:
>> Dear all
>>
>> I'm RHEL 6 , trying to add a user with following command
>>
>> useradd -d /1home user1 passwd user1
>>

>> if I try ssh user1 at localhost , following error displayed on the
>> screen
>>
>> Could not chdir to home directory /1home/user1: Permission denied ,
>> but user still able to login   and prompts displayed [user1 at testsrv
>> /]$ instead of [user1 at testsrv ~]$  ( user not getting its home
>> directory.) -------------following is the reference related to home
>> directory permission and security--------------- directory
>> permission
>>
>> ls -ld /1home
>>
>> drwxr-xr-x. 4 root root 4096 Jul 19 10:43 /1home
>>
>> ------------------------------------- SELinux Context
>>
>> ls -ldZ /1home
>>
>> drwxr-xr-x. root root system_u:object_r:home_root_t:s0 /1home/

>> what could be the problem ???
>>
> You have an SELinux labeling problem

Thank you very very much .....

I run following and the problem is solved

chcon --reference /home /1home/*

> Simplest solution.
>
> # semanage fcontext -a -e /home /1home
> # restorecon -R -v /1home

sorry I have not tried your said command as SELinux management tool is
not installed I think,  it says semange  command not found
but can you spotlight on  difference between your said command and which
I run

Warm Regards
--

   °v°