PDF files that are not simple links?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 20 21:01:21 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 14:05 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Does anyone know what the deal is these days with lots of
> web sites and PDF files? (I just encountered one on my online
> pharmacy for instance, and back at the beginning of the
> year when trying to access my W2 forms online).
>
> I have no problem with a simple link to a real PDF file, but
> now sites are doing some kind of magic voo-doo that (on
> Windows, where it works) pops up the PDF in a new window
> which has some sort of magic toolbar that appears when you
> mouse over it.
>
> I have no idea what kind of thing is being used to display
> this, or why so many web sites think it is a good idea
> to prevent their customers from accessing the site on
> linux. All I get on linux is an about:blank new window
> where nothing appears.
>
> Anyone know if this nonsense has a name I can search
> for or better yet, a firefox plugin that will enable me
> to just access the damn PDF file?

There is a addon to firefox called Default User Agent that allow firefox
to pretend to be Internet Explorer that helps in many of these Windows
associated situationsw. You can Google it to install it. It will appear
under the Tools  menu.
"Your stupidity, Allen, is simply not up to par." -- Dave Mack
(mack at inco.UUCP) "Yours is." -- Allen Gwinn (allen at sulaco.sigma.com), in
alt.flame
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net