Does encrypted SWAP support suspend-to-disk?

admin lewis adminlewis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 13:12:22 UTC 2011

2011/7/21 yudi v <yudi.tux at gmail.com>:
> I am planning on installing Fedora with LUKS over LVM as follows:
>
> sda1   ntfs
> sda2   /boot  ext
> sda3 - PV and VG
> - lv_swap  swap  (encrypted LV)
> -lv_root    / ext4 (encrypted LV)
> -lv_home /home ext4 ( (encrypted LV))
> -rest unassigned - I will assign and encrypt as the need arises.
> sda4 extended
> sda5  vfat
>  Is it suspend-to-disk supported? I cannot find any documentation except for
> this 2007 article in redhat magazine, is it still valid.
>  http://magazine.redhat.com/2007/01/18/disk-encryption-in-fedora-past-present-and-future/

This is my mount:
# mount|egrep -i 'sda|mapper'
/dev/mapper/vg_whitebox-lv_root on / type ext4
(rw,relatime,seclabel,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/mapper/vg_whitebox-lv_root on /tmp type ext4
(rw,relatime,seclabel,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/mapper/vg_whitebox-lv_root on /var/tmp type ext4
(rw,relatime,seclabel,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/mapper/vg_whitebox-lv_root on /home type ext4
(rw,relatime,seclabel,barrier=1,data=ordered)

# swapon -s
Filename				Type		Size	Used	Priority
/dev/mapper/vg_whitebox-lv_swap         partition	4063228	186940	0

I've selinux enabled, lvm and encrypted root and it works. It's a bit
slow on my macbook, but it works.

> --
> Kind regards,
> Yudi