Flash Video clips -

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 12:49:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 09:34, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

> So far two Windows users were
>            unable to run an ".flv" file. I figured most people would be
>            able to deal with that except Apple Mac perhaps.
>
>            What format do most require, Youtube offers several, or at
>            least the Firefox add-on does? I didn't see a ".wmv" listed.

Flv (FLash Video) was meant to be played with a Flash based player, inside a
browser. So it´s not a common codec to be played stand-alone.

Windows Media Video is a propietary Microsoft format, and thus not used
widely on the web.

Your best bet would be WebM, Google´s latest patent-free codec.

But your users would need to download and install the WebM codec to see it
in Media Player.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/WebM-Codec-Plugin-for-IE9-and-Windows-Now-Official-190091.shtml

In the end, it´s all solved if you tell windows users to just download and
install VLC Media Player (VideoLan).

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

It features internal codecs, and doesn´t need you to download and install
codecs on windows, almost every format on earth is supported internally.

With that, you´ll be able to e-mail webM, flv, Xvid (avi), Divx (Avi) and
users will be able to see all.

OR, you could convert videos before sending them using an open source
application like www.winff.org

FC