RECOVERING FEDORA AFTER WINDOWS XP

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 13:02:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 12:14 +0000, shailesh wrote:
> i have installed windows xp over fedora 15. How do I recover the fedora bootloader now?
> in running fdisk -l it displays
> /dev/sda1 ..... ..... ntfs
> /dev/sda2 ..... ..... ntfs
> /dev/sda3 ..... .....ntfs
> /dev/sda4 ..... ..... ntfs
> /dev/sda5 ..... ..... ntfs
> /dev/sda6 ..... ..... swap
> /dev/sda7 ..... ..... linux
>
> I tried chroot /mnt/sysimage
>          grub-install /dev/sda7
>          Ctrl+D (twice)
> But its not booting. The boot menu appears but error is displayed regarding unable to mount device

Grub makes my head ache, but this has worked for me in similar
situations:

1) Boot your machine with a Fedora rescue disk (or an install disk in
rescue mode). This will find your Linux partition and mount it.

2) Use chroot to change root to the mounted system (i.e. follow the
onscreen instructions).

3) Use grub-install(1) to restore the Grub configuration.

Hope that helps.

poc