Living with Systemd

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 21:26:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 15:46 +0000, Mark Eggers wrote:

> This really doesn't address the lack of information that's available when
> a service fails to start using systemd. I agree that more information
> would be great.
>
> However, for Apache HTTPD, you have another tool to see what's wrong with
> your configuration.
>
> >From the command line, run:
>
> /usr/sbin/apachectl configtest
>
> This will return "Syntax OK" if the configuration file is OK. If there is
> a problem, there should be detailed information.
>
> /usr/sbin/apachectl -t
>
> also works.
>
> . . . . just my two cents.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. Very useful.

However, HTTPD was just an example - the most recent one for me. I have
also had to resort to running init scripts (or the binary executable)
manually for clamd, fail2ban and ddclient in the last couple of weeks
alone.

I was really hoping that someone would reply saying something like "You
idiot! - Don't you know, all you need to do is to use the
--tellmewhatswrong switch with systemctl and all will be revealed!" But
alas, no-one has said anything...

What happens with F16 when there will be no more init scripts?

Mark