dovecot-lda as local mailer and access to manage sive

Chris Kottaridis chriskot at quietwind.net
Fri Jul 22 23:17:52 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 11:41 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot at quietwind.net> said:
> > I was expecting
> >
> > /var/vmail/<domain>/Maildir
> >
> > where <domain> would be $j from sendmail, which I would have assumed was
> > my hostname.
>
> The issue may be on the Dovecot side; my example included both "-d $u"
> and "-a $u+$h@$j" args to deliver, and I think Dovecot may be using the
> -d arg instead of the -a arg for figuring the %u/%n/%d fields.  IIRC I
> added the -a for Sieve processing (to get the +plus part of the
> address).

Yeah, I thought that as well, and I think I tried that with no
difference, but I'll try it again to make sure.

> Another way of handling it would be to setup a custom sendmail ruleset
> for envelope recipient address rewriting.  The default EnvToL strips off
> the domain; something like (mostly copied from EnvToL, untested of
> course):
>
> LOCAL_RULESETS
> SEnvToL
> R$+ < @ $+ >		$: $1 @ $2
> R$+ < @ $* >		$: $1 @ $&m
> R$+ + $*		$: < $&{addr_type} > $1 + $2
> R<e s> $+ + $*		$: $1
> R< $* > $+		$: $2
>
> This would affect other mailers that use this ruleset of course (prog is
> the only other by default).

Yeah, I was wondering if there was another sendmail macro that
represents the domain of the To address that  made it conclude it
belonged to this machine. But maybe there isn't.

I want to be careful about dinking with rules. That was what I
originally tried. What I wanted was some users to use dovecot-lda for
delivery and others to use the standard mailer. For example I really
want root to still go to /var/mail as well as other non-real users. So,
I added the dovecot mailer and was dinking with rules sets to have root
to use local mailer and other users resolve to dovecot mailer. I got
quite entangled in the whole thing. I was close but couldn't quite get
there. For now I am content with root ending up in /var/vmail.

Thanks for the help and the suggestions.

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis