How can I install F15 without a desktop environment

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 05:14:43 UTC 2011

On Monday 25 July 2011 04:36:39 Misha Shnurapet wrote:
> 15.07.2011, 22:46, "Mark W. Jeanmougin" <markjx at gmail.com>:
> > On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 23:19, John Wendel <jwendel10 at comcast.net>; wrote:
> >>  I need to install F15 without Gnome, KDE, XFCE, or LXDE.  The target
> >> has 1 GB of flash for the filesystem. So how can I install F15 with X,
> >> but without a DE?
> >
> > I always do my installs off the DVD. There's also a "minimal" install
> > that I use on my servers. It works well.
> >
> > Then, you'd just "yum install" whatever to get X.
>
> Another question on this. If I default to runlevel 3, will removable media
> like CDs, DVDs and USB drives still be mounted automatically upon
> insertion?

AFAIK, by default no, they won't. This is typically done by the graphical DE.
Namely, if there is no user currently logged in the desktop GUI, it is not
obvious which user should be set as owner of the files in the mount point.

However, I think this can be configured so that things get automounted with a
pre-specified owner etc. Google is your friend. ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko