tp_smapi

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Jul 27 08:19:29 UTC 2011

Jatin K wrote:

>>> [1]
>>> http://www.jonathanpritchard.com/blog/how-to-install-tp_smapi-and-
change-
>> battery-charging-thresholds-on-fedora-14-271
>>
>> Thanks very much - that seems to be what I was looking for.

I followed the instructions in Pritchard's blog above,
and managed to install akmods .
But the procedure beyond that failed,
since it seems akmods requires the kernel source to be present,
which was not mentioned in the blog:
------------------------------------
[tim at blanche ~]$ sudo service akmods restart
Checking kmods exist for 2.6.38.8-35.fc15.i686.PAE         [  OK  ]
Files needed for building modules against kernel
2.6.38.8-35.fc15.i686.PAE could not be found as the following
directories are missing:
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.38.8-35.fc15.i686.PAE/
/lib/modules/2.6.38.8-35.fc15.i686.PAE/build/              [FAILED]
------------------------------------

I didn't think one normall required the kernel source
in order to compile a kernel module?
I thought kernel-headers and kernel-devel was usually sufficient?

It seems there is an alternative method of installing tp_smapi ,
namely using dkms .
But I'm not clear whether dkms and akmods do the same thing?
And if so, which is likely to be better on a Fedora/KDE system?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net