Unable to create a liveUSB from Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Jul 27 16:04:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 07:45:10AM -0700, John Wendel wrote:
> On 07/26/2011 09:30 PM, yudi v wrote:
> >
> >    > As I do not have access to a Fedora system, what other method can I
> >    > use to create a liveUSB?
> >    >
> >    https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/
> >
> >    yum install liveusb-creator
> >
> >    Ed, I already mentioned that  I do not have access to a Fedora
> >    system. Secondly,
> >

> >      Preparing the USB stick
> >
> >The easiest setup method is to install Fedora's own
> >*livecd-iso-to-disk
> ><https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Livecd-iso-to-disk>* script from
> >livecd-tools. Note that the liveusb-creator GUI, however, does not
> >support putting the DVD installer on USB. (Unetbootin has worked in
> >the past as well, but does not currently work for Fedora 14 and 15.)
> >
> >taken from https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB
> >
> >I am curious why the DD command fails?
> >
> >any guesses.
> >

> I just used DD to make a USB using the LIVE CD iso (not DVD). It works
> fine.  Maybe the DVD version is arranged differently (obviously).

For some related information, you may wish to see this article:

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/4957.html

Which goes into a lot more things than the differences between booting from
CDROM and booting from USB stick, but it does discuss those differences, and is
overall an interesting article on the contortions one must go thru to boot from
various different kinds of devices on different hardware and differnet operating
systems.

Because of the differences, a vanilla bootable cdrom image won't boot from USB
and an image designed to boot from USB won't boot from cdrom.  But apparently it
IS possible to construct an image that will boot from either kind of device, so
that such an image could be written to a USB device via DD and expected to work.
But the "standard" way of creating cdrom images doesn't support that.

Hence the need for the various tools floating around for creating bootable
USB from a bootable cdrom image.

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us