how do I test laptop internal hard drive from Knoppix DVD?

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Thu Jul 28 06:45:35 UTC 2011

Michael,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:40 AM, Michael D. Setzer II
<mikes at kuentos.guam.net> wrote:
> On 28 Jul 2011 at 5:14, Darlene Wallach wrote:
>
> Date sent:              Thu, 28 Jul 2011 05:14:02 +0000
> Subject:                Re: how do I test laptop internal hard drive from
> Knoppix DVD?
> From:                   Darlene Wallach <freepalestin at dslextreme.com>
> To:                     Community support for Fedora users
> <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Send reply to:          Community support for Fedora users
> <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
>        <mailto:users-
> request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=unsubscribe>
>        <mailto:users-
> request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>

>> > Wouldn't it be better to ask this on a Knoppix forum or list?
>> > --
>>
>> On my laptop I cannot boot into graphical mode nor text mode. I'm
>> using a Knoppix 6.5 I got in a Linux Magazine. I thought there might
>> be a tool I could use from the Knoppix live DVD to test the internal
>> drive on my laptop. I currently have Fedora 13 installed on my laptop.
>> I don't know how to check/test the internal drive on my laptop using
>> the Knoppix 6.5 live DVD. If someone can give me some advice, I would
>> greatly appreciate it.
>>
>> Thank you
>
> Questions.
> What happens when you try to boot from the internal disk?

I have Fedora 13 installed.

On the graphical boot it shows text that usually does not show then
the progressive bar at the bottom of the screen starts out blue ending
with Fedora 13. When it reaches Fedora 13 it turns white and thats it
- nothing happens after that.

When I edit the boot prompt editing the kernel line - I add a space
and 3, it still does not boot, I get the text that I have not seen
before and it halts, I think that last thing displayed is "killed"

> If it gives and error, what is the error?

I don't remember everything displayed and I don't know how to access
it from using the Knoppix live DVD. I guess I would have to get access
to /var/log/messages or dmesg

> What OS do you have one the internal disk?

GNU/Linux the Fedora 13 distribution

> Are you looking at it having a hardware error or a configuration
> error?

I'm thinking I'm having a problem with the internal hard drive. It
shutdown last night and the problem started when I tried to boot this
morning.

> What kind of video card (chip) does the laptop have?
nvidia

> I am assuming the Knoppix CD is booting in graphics mode?

Yes

> There are also some kernel options that might help. I recently had
> a compaq laptop that would not boot with the regular keneral
> options, but with some failsafe options it worked fine.

What do you suggest I try on the kernel options?

> If it is hardware, some live-cds include testdisk program, which
> can do  things to check and possible repair issues.

The Knoppix 6.5 live DVD has testdisk but I'm not sure how to accesss
the internal hard drive of the laptop.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond!

Darlene Wallach
--
equal justice under law