Unable to create a liveUSB from Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 08:04:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 4:25 AM, yudi v <yudi.tux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The live CDs have the hard drive boot loader code and partition at
>> the beginning of the image. The DVD images do not.
>>
>> Mikkel
>
> Thanks for the info.

This method of putting the DVD iso onto a usbkey I have been using for
some years and works consistently.  One word of caution though is that
when it comes to using the usbkey to do an install to the hard drive
of the machine you are installing to, you have to be careful when you
reach the bootloader screen. Unless this has been fixed in very recent
versions, you will likely find that by default it will attempt to put
grub onto the mbr of the usbkey instead of putting it onto the mbr of
the HD!  So at this point you need to swap over the first and second
bios drive in the options on the bootloader page during the install,
and make sure that it says that it will put grub onto the mbr of the
hard drive.  Only then will your newly installed system boot normally
once the install is complete.  The other thing is that if you do not
do that then you may find you can't boot your key either once the
install completes since its mbr would have been overwritten.

Other than that this method of install works nicely and saves having
to burn a disc.  Hopefully at some point the little wrinkle about the
bootloader watchpoint  when using this method will be resolved so that
there is no need to take care of it manually during the install.

--
mike c