More RAM not recognized -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Jul 29 15:54:01 UTC 2011

On 29/07/11 11:06, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:38:15 -0400, BG (Bob) wrote:
>
>>      This Dell DM4700 came with 2-256 mb strips, some time ago I added
>>      2-1 gb strips for a total of 2.5 gb.
>>
>>      This morning I replaced the 256 mb strips with 2-2 gb for a total of
>>      6. The bios setup screen shows 6 gb but apparently Linux is only
>>      using half that amount, not much of an improvement!:
> Install the  kernel-PAE  package, then reboot to the PAE kernel and remove
> the normal  kernel  package.

    That's done but "free" shows essentially the same amount of memory?

    $ free
                  total       used       free     shared    buffers
    cached
    Mem:       3095008

    I have not yet removed the original non-PAE kernels but I am booting
    to the new PAE kernel. It looks like something else is going on.
    Might be something in the bios configuration that needs changing or
    maybe this computer can't handle more than 4 gb?

    I did have, F-13 64 bit installed on it once but decided to stick
    with 32 after that for simplicity, I wanted two set up the same and
    the other box was 32 bit. That has been replaced so 64 is possible
    if I must.

    Thanks,

    Bob