More RAM not recognized -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Jul 29 16:36:42 UTC 2011

On 29/07/11 12:17, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 17:13:23 +0100, AH (Andrew) wrote:
>
>>>      Mem:       3095008
>>>
>>>      I have not yet removed the original non-PAE kernels but I am booting
>>>      to the new PAE kernel. It looks like something else is going on.
>>>      Might be something in the bios configuration that needs changing or
>>>      maybe this computer can't handle more than 4 gb?
>> How much RAM does the BIOS say you have?
> Wouldn't be the first BIOS that gets confused.
> What does the "dmidecode" (from the package with the same name) say about
> the memory controller capabilities and the used banks?

    That produces a huge amount of information but part is:

        Handle 0x1100, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
        Memory Device
                 Array Handle: 0x1000
                 Error Information Handle: Not Provided
                 Total Width: 64 bits
                 Data Width: 64 bits
                 Size: 2048 MB
                 Form Factor: DIMM
                 Set: None
                 Locator: CHANNEL A DIMM 0
                 Bank Locator: Not Specified
                 Type: DDR
                 Type Detail: Synchronous
                 Speed: 533 MHz
                 Manufacturer: 2CFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
                 Serial Number: 0D16C589
                 Asset Tag: Not Specified
                 Part Number:

        Handle 0x1101, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
        Memory Device
                 Array Handle: 0x1000
                 Error Information Handle: Not Provided
                 Total Width: 64 bits
                 Data Width: 64 bits
                 Size: No Module Installed
                 Form Factor: DIMM
                 Set: None
                 Locator: CHANNEL B DIMM 0
                 Bank Locator: Not Specified
                 Type: DDR
        :

    And it also appears to say the bios is 64 bit. I'm not sure how to
    interpret all this.

        Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 20 bytes
        BIOS Information
                 Vendor: Dell Inc.
                 Version: A09
                 Release Date: 06/22/2005
                 Address: 0xF0000
                 Runtime Size: 64 kB
                 ROM Size: 512 kB
                 Characteristics:
                         PCI is supported
                         PNP is supported
                         APM is supported
                         BIOS is upgradeable
                         BIOS shadowing is allowed
                         Boot from CD is supported
                         Selectable boot is supported
                         EDD is supported
                         Japanese floppy for Toshiba 1.2 MB is supported
        (int 13h)
                         Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
                         8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
                         Serial services are supported (int 14h)
                         Printer services are supported (int 17h)
                         ACPI is supported
                         USB legacy is supported
                         LS-120 boot is supported
                         BIOS boot specification is supported
                         Function key-initiated network boot is supported

Bob