Progress?

Patrick Lists fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 31 23:34:24 UTC 2011

On 08/01/2011 12:59 AM, David A. De Graaf wrote:
> With the advent of Fedora 15 we have lost features that have been the
> bedrock of a reliable system - all the name of "progress".
> Here are my pleas to the Fedora development team:
>
> Give us back a single entry of LUKS passphrase for all filesystems.

I have a single passphrase for the encrypted root fs and encrypted swap
on a laptop with F15.

> Give us back an intelligible display of boot progress.

Boot with norhgb noquiet nomodeset or something like that. Google is
your friend.

> Give us back kernels that don't abort instead of an abrt reporting
> system.

Maybe you should use RHEL or CentOS. Fedora has pretty cutting edge
kernels that are bound to have bugs. Be realistic in your expectations.
And the abrt system helps developers learn about the bugs in the kernel
so they can be fixed. Would you rather have a kernel with more bugs or
less bugs?

> Give us back the assurance of never having to reboot.

Kernel updates that fix exploits & bugs require a reboot to activate
that new kernel. Alternatively you could get Oracle's ksplice service
while you can. Even RHEL/CentOS occasionally get new kernels which
require a reboot. I have never come across an Internet facing box that
did not require a reboot at some point.

> Give us back the legendary reliability that was the hallmark of
> Linux and Fedora.

Fedora & legendary reliability? As much as I like Fedora and use it
daily, for anything that requires legendary reliability I use RHEL/CentOS.

Regards,
Patrick