Not enough info, so no point

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 1 07:14:49 UTC 2011

On 06/01/2011 07:32 AM, JD wrote:
> On 05/31/11 23:20, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> On 05/31/2011 06:24 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>>> For my PC
>>>
>>> Fedora 15 update fails
>>>
>>> Fedora 15 install CD fails to boot
>>>
>>> Fedora 15 Live KDE fails to boot
>>>
>>> All fail to finish initialising hardware.
>>>
>>> smolt page :
>>> http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_4917245b-ea15-44b1-ae4d-788c70a5a3d9
>>>
>>> Result : I shall not be updating to Fedora 15 any time soon
>>>
>>> I provide this information reluctantly based on my previous experience
>>> posting to this community, which laughingly suggests it provides
>>> assistance, encouragement, and advice.
>> Update
>>
>> Created Fedora 15 Live CD KDE
>>
>> booted, and ran the check, result passed
>>

>> Boot sequence (low res) then gets to this point eventually

>> Starting POSIX Message Queue File System...
>> Started POSIX Message Queue File System
>> Starting Huge Page File System...
>> Started Huge Page File System.
>> Started udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization.
>> Starting Wait for Storage Scan...
>> Show Plymouth Boot Screen
>>
>>    >>>>>   Delay here then core dump and reliably see reference to Advansys
>> functions perhaps?
>>

>> AdvInitAsc3550Driver
>>
>> AdvResetChipAndSB
>>
>> AdvISR
>>

>> SCSI card reported in Fedora 14 by kinfocenter as "Advanced Systems
>> Product Inc ABP940-UW"
> That's better news. At least it confirms that it
> works with your graphics card.
> Were you able to bring up your network?
> Maybe you could make another attempt
> to install F15 on an empty partition instead of
> upgrading your F14 installation, so that you will
> always be able to fall back on your good F14
> installation.

Difficult to install Fedora 15 to another partition directly as the
install/rescue DVD for Fedora 15 fails to work. Although I could install
Fedora 14 to another partition and update that.

The last reinstall of Fedora 14 was done directly from the Fedora
repositories, (fortunately I know the required IP config).

My concern with doing another update in another partition is the need
for a proper plan. Firstly rebooting to the updated Fedora 15 might not
be the best course, rather booting the working Fedora 14 and then mount
the Fedora 15 and collect its configuration information. The concern
with a Fedora 15 boot is it may have unforeseen consequences that
obscure the real problem. Also it might be advisable to get the
installed packages both before and after the update. Unfortunately this
will take at least a day to achieve. So, I'm not sure when I'll get
round to trying it.