Shared to other computers

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Wed Jun 1 14:48:40 UTC 2011

  Has anyone managed to get the "Shared to other computers" option described in...

http://www.techerator.com/2010/01/how-to-setup-internet-connection-sharing-in-fedora-12/

to work under Fedora 14 or 15 when both network interfaces are ethernet devices?
I have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard with eth1 attached to the external ethernet
and eth0 configured in the Network Connections dialog to use the "Shared to other
computers" method. When I attach a Fedora 15 i386 laptop to eth0 via an ethernet patch cable,
under Fedora 14 the connection was eventually made but the dns didn't work. Under
Fedora 15, the laptop shows a red X for the network connection. The documentation on
this method of internet sharing with two ethernet cards is very sparse and very
unclear on whether additional dnsmasq or dhcp support is required to be configured.
           Jack