14->15 upgrade comments

Rich Emberson emberson.rich at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 20:32:38 UTC 2011

Last weekend I upgraded (using preupgrade) both my laptop and development
box from 14 to 15. Both are x86_64 machines.

On the laptop, twice now while rebooting the system has crashed with
a stacktrace on the screen. Both times it occurred while the blue, light-
blue and white progress bars were making their way across the screen.
I do not know howto capture the stacktrace. The machine freezes.
Ctl-Alt-Del does not cause a reboot. The offswitch does not work.
After trying both of the above and waiting a couple of minutes, the
machine turns off. Afterwards, I attempt another reboot and it works.
Must be some timing issue. (The first time it happened was during the
reboot at the end of the preupgrade process - needless to say my
stress levels spiked.)

Secondly, on my development machine I have a 4TB drive that I always
mounted manually; its not in the /etc/fstabs file.
Well, while rebooting at the end on the preupgrade process,
I got the following popup:

Dirty File Systems
The following file systems for your Linux system were not
unmounted cleanly. Please boot your Linux installation, let
the file systems be checked and shut down cleanly to upgrade.
/dev/sde1

Clicking OK, I was booted into 14. I then ran fsck on the disk
which took many hours with no errors. Then, had to re-run the
preupgrade script (which was much faster the second time since
things had already been downloaded) and the reboot took me to 15.

You might consider letting folks know on the preupgrade webpage
that all disks, not just those in fstabs, HAVE to have had fsck
run recently (don't know what recent means in this case).

Lastly, the fonts are, well, not what they were before the upgrade.
Others have mentioned this and I will live with them until some
future time.

Other than those issues, great upgrade process.
Many Thanks!

Richard