14->15 upgrade comments

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Wed Jun 1 21:12:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 21:38 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > blue and white progress bars were making their way across the screen.
> > I do not know howto capture the stacktrace. The machine freezes.
> > Ctl-Alt-Del does not cause a reboot. The offswitch does not work.
>
> If the box goes castors up it's fairly hard to capture it. You pretty
> much have to write it down (or take a photo of it) and transcribe it
> later.
>
> The photo is actualyl a pretty good approach as you can then reboot the
> system and get it back in service fast.

And if you want to see what's behind the colored bars, press <escape> as
soon as they start to crawl.  For more complete messages, press <enter>
when the GRUB splash screen appears, edit the kernel line and delete the
rhgb and quiet options.  Then proceed with the boot.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu