tmpfiles.d and spaces in filenames

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 22:34:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 17:54 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 21:18:15 +0100
> Ian Malone wrote:
>
> > Yes, in general hours of pain here, especially if you work with people
> > who do lots of shell scripting and another group of people who use
> > Windows lots.
>
> Yea, did anyone notice that Unix/Linux allowed spaces in filenames
> for years and years before Microsoft invented NTFS, and no one had
> these problems because no one was foolish enough to actually use
> spaces in filenames.

Not only space of course, but lots of wierd stuff. The only character
that can't appear in a filename component is '/'. Everything else is
legal, LineFeed, Tab, Del, Ctrl-C, you name it :-)

Returning to the Shell quote thing, in idle moments I sometimes wonder
why the Shells don't simply *assume* double quotes around every
parameter. No doubt it would break lots of things now, but it might have
been a better design to begin with.

poc