Sound input on Fedora 15

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Thu Jun 2 01:01:29 UTC 2011

On 06/01/2011 03:34 PM, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Michael Eager<eager at eagercon.com>  wrote:
>> Sound output through my motherboard's Intel HDA ACL888 works OK.
>> Sound input does not work.
>>
>> Alsa lists the ACL888 as well as a video capture card.
>> Pulseaudio (pacmd list-sources) shows the card and says that it only has
>> internal audio monitor, not hardware input.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to fix this?
>
> I would check pavucontrol and see if anything is turned off or using
> the wrong Profile in the Configuration Tab.

Well, it's not clear which of the dozen profiles is the right one.  :-)

Selecting "Analog Stereo Duplex" does result in the Input Devices
showing "Internal Audio Analog Stereo" with three options "Line-In",
"Microphone 1" and "Microphone 2".  The blue VU meter bar for "Line-In"
is jumping around, which is progress.  Clicking the "mute" button
makes it stop and start, which is good.  But nothing comes out the
speakers.

Using a different Mike W.'s suggestion, I ran
"pactl load-module module-loopback".  Suddenly there is sound!!!

I added the line "load-module module-loopback" to /etc/pulse/default.pa
and the change persists across a reboot.

Whew!!!  It should not be this difficult to set up sound.

Thanks Mike & Mike!

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077