Gnome shell and NVidia binary drivers

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Thu Jun 2 11:50:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 02:17:11PM +0300, Pasha R wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Alexander Volovics <a.volovic at upcmail.nl> wrote:

> > So can their be some kind of conflict between the nvidia drivers and
> > the gnome 3 shell. Is it possible that selinux is involved in this
> > somehow.
> >
> > I really would like to solve this because I have wasted enough time
> > trying to get this working. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Alexander

> I installed the akmod-nvidia, and now also ran dracut --force to
> recreate initramfs (and, obviously, rebooted). It doesn't help. I
> installed KDE and it works, so, I guess drivers are working.

I don't doubt that the drivers work.
I had previously installed ubuntu 11.04 on this same pc and
installed the same nvidia drivers. They worked ok there.
(But I didn't like unity so I removed ubuntu and installed fed 15)

Knowing that the drivers should work is hardly comforting when they
refuse to work with fed15/gnome3.

I hope somebody comes with a suggestion or I will be forced to
install KDE (which I don't like but at least you do not need to
install the nvidia drivers because nouveau works quite well) or
Xfce (which I don't like either and which has some bugs/shortcomings)

Alexander