AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor runs only between 800-2700 Mhz

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 15:40:03 UTC 2011

Hi,

> cat
> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/bios_limit
>
> and i can see it as max cpufreq.
>
> i am a bit confused. windows shows it correctlxy and the linux system
> is as slow as 2700 MHZ :)

I'm having a similar problem. My Athlon X6 1090T is overclocked from
3200 to 3700, yet appears to be running at 800mhz. I've stopped
/etc/init.d/cpufreq, but where the monitor usually shows 3200 when
it's stopped, now it's showing 800.

processor       : 5
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 16
model           : 10
model name      : AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 3200.000
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 6
core id         : 5
cpu cores       : 6
apicid          : 5
initial apicid  : 5
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 6
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext
fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good
nonstop_tsc extd_apicid aperfmperf pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm
cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch
osvw ibs skinit wdt cpb npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save
bogomips        : 7449.19
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate [9]

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/bios_limit
3200000

# dmesg |grep Detected
[    0.000000] Detected 3724.112 MHz processor.
[    5.144606] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=1024M, BAR=256M

How do you manually set the cpu speed? I've tried the cpuspeed
program, but I'm not sure how to use it. In order to fix the speed to
a certain frequency, you have to use the -a option:

        -a <AC file>
            Sets the ACPI AC adapter state file and tells the program to set
            the CPU cores to minimum speed when the AC adapter is disconnected.
            (This is the default but is changeable by the '-D' option below).

Where does this AC file come from? This is my desktop, not a laptop,
so there is no other option than to use the AC adapter.

If I start /etc/init.d/cpuspeed, it will control the CPU, but it never
really seems to go above 800mhz, even when it should be necessary.

Thanks,
Alex