Four Tweaks for Gnome 3

Pasha R pashar.ml at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 20:18:16 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Genes MailLists <lists at sapience.com> wrote:
> On 06/02/2011 02:57 PM, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
>

>> My biggest problem with Gnome 3 is that things that I could do by moving
>> the mouse, and a single mouse click, now needs several moves and several
>> mouse clicks, this severely disrupts my work flow. At the moment I have
>> moved to Xfce (which I aesthetically does not like, but can be made to
>> work the way I am used to), but I will check to see if new extensions
>> etc. turns up that make Gnome 3 usable (for me).
>>

>  One possible problem with add-on extensions is that there is no
> guarantee they will continue to work as things evolve (much like firefox
> addons break as it evolves) unless they get absorbed into the core Gnome
> shell or the addon developers stay very closely on top of things.
>
>  Then you have the timing problem - when exactly are add-ons updated to
> reflect changes in Gnome core? Before they hit testing - after they hit
> stable?
>
>  Sounds a bit dodgy to me to rely on these unless they get some
> guarantee of working on a forward basis.
>
>  I'm willing to take some risks and bang at things ... but if you're
> not, then at least be cautious with what extensions you rely on for your
> daily activities.

My problem with extensions is that there is no easy way to enable and
disable them on the fly and per user. All extensions I tried were
activated for all users when installed and required logoff to be
activated. It is possible to copy extension files to
~/.local/somewhere, but it is even less convenient and still requires
logoff.